Energy Efficiency & Insulation Terms

Batt insulation: Batt insulation comes in pre-cut panels and is generally made of fiberglass; it is sometimes used in conjunction with roll insulation.

Blanket insulation: A batt and roll insulation system, blanket insulation typically consists of fiberglass but sometimes mineral (rock and slag) wool or natural fibers (cotton and sheep’s wool).

Cavity: A cavity is the empty space between the wall studs or joists where insulation can be added.

Cellulose insulation: Consisting of up to 80 percent recycled material (mostly newspaper), cellulose is one of the most environmentally friendly types of insulation and has superior soundproofing abilities; it is typically blown in.

Conduction: Conductive transfer of energy occurs within or between areas (within your home and between the interior and exterior) of different temperatures; thermal insulation is superior at stopping conductive heat loss.

Convection: Convective heat transfer occurs through liquids or gases.

Faced insulation: This type of insulation (batt style) has a vapor barrier attached, typically kraft paper or foil-backed paper.

Fiberglass insulation: An insulation material consisting of thin strands of glass fibers, fiberglass is widely used; today, about 90 percent of homes have fiberglass insulation!

Foam insulation: Foam insulation is ideal for tiny gaps and crevices behind the walls and can be sprayed, injected, poured or foamed-in-place.

Heat loss: Heat is lost from a home or building through one of three methods: conduction, convection, or radiation.

Insulation: Insulation is a product used to block sound and heat transfer, keeping your home more comfortable (and increasing its energy efficiency). Its effectiveness is rated in terms of thermal resistance (R-value).

Loose-fill insulation: Loose-fill is a type of insulation that is shredded and blown into the designated area (also called “blown-in insulation”). Cellulose is typically installed as loose-fill.

R-value: The R-value is used to rate different insulation materials; it refers to the resistance to heat flow—the higher the R-value, the better!

Radiant barrier: Radiant barriers are installed in attics and used to increase your home’s ability to reflect the sun’s energy; options are reflective foil, metal roof shingles, laminated roof sheathing and chips.

Radiation: This refers to radiant heat transfer that is caused by a release of electromagnetic waves (also called thermal radiation).

Retrofit insulation: Used for re-insulation projects, retrofit insulation is installed in existing homes, compared to new construction or new build insulation, which is installed in new homes.

Roll insulation: Ideal for unobstructed spaces, roll insulation can be cut to fit any cavity and is generally made of fiberglass; it is sometimes used in conjunction with batt insulation.

Unfaced insulation: This type of insulation has no vapor barrier attached.